Fairtrade International commissioned a study to examine the impact of Fairtrade in regard to environmental protection, biodiversity conservation and adaptation to climate change. The study aimed to answer the following evaluation questions: How do Fairtrade (1) Standards and Tools, (2) Programs and Capacity Building, and (3) Premium investments impact on environmental protection, biodiversity conservation, and climate change adaptation/resilience.
FAKT carried out the global impact study combining quantitative methods for data analysis and qualitative methods for collecting results from different countries for the global study on the impacts of Fairtrade standards on adaptation to climate change, biodiversity and the environment with a particular focus on the impacts on women.
It took place worldwide with case studies in Latin America and the Caribbean (Panama, Costa Rica), Africa (Kenya) and the Middle East, and Asia and the Pacific (India).
The publications can be downloaded at: http://www.fakt-consult.de/publications/analysis-of-the-producer-level-impact-of-fairtrade-on-environmentally-friendly
- Evaluation of the OECD/DAC criteria (relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability) including recommendations for the future development.
- Review and analysis of existing studies on environmental impact of Fairtrade and/ or standard systems. Review of the ToC reflecting Fairtrade’s overall intervention strategy with regard to adaptation to climate change, biodiversity and the environment.
- Quantitative analysis of the data available in the Fairtrade system on the application of environmental criteria, on environmentally themed Fairtrade producer programs and capacity building, and on environmentally themed investments of the Fairtrade Premi
- Interviews with key stakeholders (FI, Producer Networks, National Fairtrade Organizations, research organizations, NGOs).
- An in-depth assessment of six case studies in Kenya, India, Panama and Costa Rica from the Fairtrade producers to examine their environmental impact using a mixed method approach including interviews, workshops and focus group discussions drawing on eleme